What official paperwork do you need onboard your boat?
We’ve received requests for the following documentation at various times during our travels:
(Ensure you check the requirements for the country you are visiting.)
- The ship’s papers (original certificates)
- Crew lists – multiple copies at hand
- The original insurance certificate for the boat
- Passport photos for everyone on board
- Proof of ownership (of vessel)
- Vaccination certificates for all on board
- Pet inoculation details and certificates (check date requirements)
- Plus many photocopies of each item
You might also be asked for some of the following:
- Bank statements, proof of funds/property owned in home country (you may need these in some
- countries to prove you can support yourselves and have a reason to leave).
- List of medications on board. Anyone travelling with medications and/or syringes should carry
- a prescription. All medications should be kept in their labelled dispensing bottles or packages. If
- the medications are controlled or an injection type then it is also advisable to carry a doctor’s
- letter authorising possession and use by the bearer.
- List of boat details, length, colour etc
- Ship’s radio licence
- Certificate to operate the radio/VHF
- The skipper may need an International Certificate of Competence
- Fishing licence for the area you intend cruising
- Details of last haul out including details of type of antifoul paint used (keep receipts)
- Last termite inspection/treatment (keep receipts)
- List of previous ports visited and length of stay
- List of ports you intend to visit
- List of all equipment on board; radios, GPS, laptops etc, including make and model, (we did not
- list our backup equipment and this was not checked)
- Alcohol on board
- Engine details
- Don’t forget the courtesy and quarantine flag, and that an official looking boat stamp is a great help.
- It is very important to remain polite and courteous – you’re a visitor.
If you’ve got anything to add to this, let us know and we’ll share it on our website for everyone.