Navigation doesn’t have to be a mystery. This course is designed to increase your knowledge step-by-step. Each new learning builds on the previous one. With plenty of practice along the way so you remember easily. This will help you gain more confidence and become an active member onboard. These techniques will help keep you become safer on the water and enjoy your boating life.
AMSA recognised Navigation Course (Bundle) – scroll down to FAQ to see what’s included.
Please read: T&C Disclaimer
Our Coastal Navigation course is delivered three ways, to suit everyone:
- Learn at your own pace $130 (full navigation course – includes 3 additional workshops: Passage Planning, Weather, and Collision Regulations) – unlimited access for a year. ACCESS NOW! Or $99 – Tackle the Navigation section only for now ACCESS NOW!
- Learn with us on Zoom (unique system for live chart work!) – $329 (plus assessment) Coming Soon
- Learn with us face to face $399 (plus assessment) Register your interest
Full details of contentClick to view
Onboard your boat: POA
*Minimum numbers apply: if you complete the self-paced or Zoom Course, and you’d like to attend just the practical with us, let us know and we’ll provide some date options.
**You can complete some practical elements online with us on Zoom with the remainder via video, i.e. on your vessel with video evidence.
Note: You only need sit the assessments (after completing the course) if you would like to achieve the full qualification.
complete course with us here in the beautiful Bega Valley area.
$399 theory session and practical costs dependent on minimal numbers (POA)
There will be some preparation work for you to do prior to the course and assignments to be completed.
Note: The written assessment is completed via Zoom at a later date (or F2F if you’d prefer). To give you time to fully prepare. (Zoom assessment is included in the cost, additional fee for F2F assessment).
Join us as a beginner or if you’d like a refresher. We take you right through all the elements, right up to Set and Drift and Running Fixes – with practice as we go. Our unique system works for everyone, at all levels.
To achieve this qualification you will need to do a written and practical assessment (the practical can be achieved via video).
Online (via Zoom): $99*
On the water. Vessel based in the far south NSW coast. Minimum numbers apply POA
Via video/RPL: Send in your video for assessment: $99
- Unlimited support via phone or email
- Learning terminology and chart conventions
- Where on Earth are we? And what does that mean?
- Time conversions, Speed Distance and Time,
- Learning all about the chart and chart corrections (notices to mariners)
- Chart work, chart scale
- Latitude and longitude, plotting
- Position fixing (GPS, bearing and distance, direction)
- Understanding and applying Variation
- Understanding and applying Deviation
- Learn how to check your boat’s Deviation
- Converting True to Compass and Compass to True
- Finding your position without GPS: 3-bearing fix, deduced reckoning, (estimated position, set and drift)
- Passage Planning (now a separate workshop)
- Collision Regulations (now a separate workshop)
- Introduction into Weather (now a separate workshop)
- Understand chart reliability
- Identify charts symbols, dangers, soundings, lights etc
- Understand and apply tidal and current information
- Relative bearings, Transit bearings, Running Fix, Double the angle on the bow
- Tides, Find the Depth (in the Passage Planning Workshop)
Under keel Clearance (in the Passage Planning Workshop)
Special prices for Navigation tools and books, purchase when you enrol.
1) Full colour Navigation Manual, with step by step instructions.
2) Q&A manual, for practice questions and answers that explain how each question is tackled.
Special Price: $89.99 FOR BOTH MANUALS (plus $9.99 delivery)
Chart AUS252: $34.00 (plus $9.99 delivery)
Portland Plotter, Dividers, Pencil Compass: $120 (plus $16 delivery)
To complete the course you will need chart AUS252 and the equipment listed above, you can purchase it from us at a discounted price (when you enrol) or purchase via other sources (you may have all this onboard already!) You will be given options to purchase the equipment when you enrol in the Navigation Course.